quinta-feira, agosto 23, 2007

Ephemerous

The band finished playing. I took the chance and sat down. Cleaned the sweat and ordered a beer. My eyes scanned around me. Not far from my table I spotted her, two couples and her, alone. The waitress delivered her fancy cocktail. Our eyes crossed. I stared at her and she at me. I thought about approaching her. But the fear of rejection was still greater than the expectation of joy. I ordered a second beer, while searching for her eyes again. But the friends had her attention now. I decided to go to the bathroom. I guess it was the subtle hope that the alcohol would tilt the fear-pleasure scale. When I returned the table was empty, the check paid. She was gone without a name, without a trace. I finished my beer, dropped few bills from my wallet, and closed the door of the bar behind me, alone.